Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Vacation

James went back to work today after an almost 2 week staycation/vacation. We started his vacation off at home...with a little work! We sent the kids to James' parent's house for a night and used that "kid-free" time to put down a patio. As you have seen from past posts, our back yard is in a state of disarray! There used to be a deck off of our dining room, but the wood was starting to rot so with a little help from some family members, we tore it out. Thanks to our home's previous owners, we had all the supplies we needed to make a paver brick patio. Here are some before and after pics...


Bringing in some top soil to level out the ground


James hard at work on his first day of vacation!


The finished (well, almost...we are missing a step down) project!

After a few days at home, we headed off to Maine. We stopped for a night at my Uncle's house and from there went to separate locations. James went to the Allagash Wilderness Waterway for a fishing trip, and the kids and I traveled on to my Mom's house in northern Maine.


The bridge from New Hampshire to Maine


LOVED seeing this sign on my many long drives home from college! Never had a picture of it until now!


Ryan napping in the car

James' fishing trip was bittersweet. It was two years ago this month that James and I took off to New Hampshire, where my parents were living at the time, so that he and my Dad could go fishing in the Allagash with some of the same men that went this year. It was the first day of that trip, once they crossed the lake to get to their campsite, that my Dad fell ill and had to be air lifted to the hospital in Portland, ME where he passed away after a week of being in a coma. I know it brought back painful memories for James, but he felt that my Dad would have wanted him to go on this trip and to experience the beauty of the Allagash (a place my Dad loved so much and where he spent time with his brother and father every year since he was in his 20s). Despite the bitter memories, James did have a good time on the trip and even caught a few fish!


Uncle Mark, James and Andy waiting for a bite


James got one (actually, I believe he got five!)


Up close and personal with a Moose


Make that two Moose!

After a fun, though brief, visit with my friend Sarah and her kids, Ryan, Ella and I went on to my Mom's house. It rained the WHOLE time we were there, but we had fun visiting anyway!


Lydia, Ryan, Eliza and Ella...the best picture I could get!


Ring around the Rosy


Lydia holding Ella


MiMi and Ella


MiMi with Ryan and Ella (I snapped the picture before Ryan could tackle them!)

James still had two days off when we got back, which was a nice way to unwind after a long trip and a busy vacation! Now it's back to work...and back to real life. Sigh.

3 comments:

The Rice's said...

I love the new pictures!! Your new patio looks amazing! I can't believe that you did that all yourself! I love it!! I love the pictures from your trip too! I got your message and will call you soon!! Jenn

Beth said...

I am trying to remember all the things I wanted to comment on ... ha ha! First of all, I'm with Jenn - that patio is AMAZING! Great job! :) Hmm, what else? OH, I have always wanted to snap a picture of that Welcome to Maine sign, and I've never done it. I'm either driving, or it's dark, or the camera's not out, or I forget. I'm NEVER sleeping at that point, though, I *have* to see the sign.

I'm sure there were more things I was going to say :) ... but I forget. Lots of good pics in this post!

Glad you guys survived the trip!

Anne said...

Your patio looks great, Kate! :) Give James another pat on the back for us. ;)

We will keep you in our prayers, I had forgotten that it was this time of year that your dad passed away. Love you guys!