Tuesday, September 29, 2009

What's Cooking?

I love to cook. I love to try out new recipes and add a little of my own "signature" to them. Sometimes it works...sometimes it turns out better when I stick to the recipe! These, however, are a couple of my favorite recipes and I have had several people ask me for them recently. I thought I would share with anyone who might be reading my blog. Please share your favorite recipe with me, too! Did I mention I love trying new recipes?

Tex Mex Bake

Ingredients:
1 bag success rice (I use brown...and when I don't have the boil in bag rice I use instant rice and make 2 servings according to box directions)
1 small jar salsa
1 lb browned ground beef (I have made this with chicken and also ground turkey)
4 cups crushed tortilla chips
1 can (15 oz) pinto beans
1 lb Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes, divided (I have also used shredded cheddar cheese, 2 cups)
Sliced green onions and sour cream (optional)


Directions:
Prepare rice according to package directions and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine rice, beans, salsa and ground beef; set aside. Cover baking dish bottom with chips. Layer 1/2 of the cheese over the chips. Top beef mixture. Top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with sour cream and green onions if desired.


Pizza Crust

Ingredients:
1 (0.25 oz) dry active yeast (can be found in the dairy department...I use Fleishman's rapid rise yeast)
1 tsp. white sugar
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour*
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

*I sometimes use 1 cup wheat flour and 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
**To make a stuffed crust pizza, allow crust to hang over edge of round pizza pan (or stone) and line edge with string cheese. Fold excess crust over the string cheese and add desired toppings.


Directions:
Preheat oven to 450F. In medium bowl, dissolve yeast & sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

Stir in flour, salt, & oil. Beat until smooth. Let rest for 5 minutes.


Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface & pat into a round. Transfer crust to a lightly greased pizza pan. Spread with desired toppings** & bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

**Last week I topped with 3 or 4 Tbsp of light caesar salad dressing, mozzarella cheese, 1 tsp italian seasoning, freshly ground black pepper, cooked and cubed chicken and steamed broccoli. It was SO yummy!!

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened, 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 3 cups quick cooking oats, 1-1/2 cups flour, 1 pkg instant vanilla pudding, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 2 cups (um...or more) chocolate chips


Directions:
Preheat oven to 375F. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter & sugars. Beat in eggs & vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine the oats, flour, pudding mix, baking soda & salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls, 2-in apart, onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.

This recipe makes a LOT of cookies.


ENJOY!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate, That Tex-Mex bake and the cookies sound yummy. I'll have to try them. You know Jenn loves chocolate chip cookies. Have never seen a recipe with pudding mix in it. Your little ones are so precious. Jenn's mother-in-law.
Helen

Bridgette said...

Keeks, we totally botched the Pizza Crust recipe and I can't figure out what we did wrong. Hopefully, it'll work when we try again because it is sooo good!