"I don't believe in love at first sight; I believe in love at last sight. Each of my relationships has the potential to be better the next time we're together than it was the previous time so that the last time we see each other on this earth, we're closer than ever before."
-Love at Last Sight, by Kerry and Chris Shook
So, I kept my word and read this book. To say I read a chapter a day (as suggested by the authors) would be a lie, but I did keep up with my reading and only had to squeeze in extra chapters a few days here and there. Regardless, the book has been read and I am now able to give you a review (just what you have been on the edge of your seats waiting for, right?).
The book is a 30 day challenge to "grow and deepen your closest relationships." (If you missed my last post, see it below to understand why I decided to read and review this book.)
The first line in the book says "Right now, there are three relationships in your life that trouble you." In less than 30 seconds, I was able to determine who those three people were/are in my life. The challenge in this book was to consider these three relationships throughout the 30 days, and to actively try to work on those relationships through the tips/advice given in the book.
The three relationships should be those that are "key", or "essential" in your life. A close friend, a spouse, a family member, not just some acquaintance that you would like to get to know better.
The first week of the challenge talks about being present in your relationships. Kerry and Chris call it "practicing the art of being all there." With all of the technology available to us, facebook, twitter, e-mail, texting...it's easy to connect with each other, but physical presence is also important. Sure, I appreciate a phone call from a friend, or a text, and many times this is how I myself choose to communicate. However, being physically present can really show a person that they are important. Ironically, I have tried to find a time to be physically present with one of the relationships that I feel could be better, and one or the other of us always seems to have some other commitment standing in the way. I'm not sure how to get around that...but I'm going to find a way!! It certainly does take EFFORT!
The second week of the challenge is, in fact, about acting "intentionally." Kerry and Chris suggest painting a vision of what we want a relationship to become. As they say in the book, "to envision something better is rarely part of our thinking. People will say "I'll believe it when I see it." But God says, "You'll see it when you believe it," as in "We live by faith, not by sight" (2 Corinthians 5:7)." If you want a relationship to be better, you have to believe that it CAN be better, and then do the work to make it so.
The third week focuses on "the art of risking awkwardness." It's pushing deeper, as opposed to keeping things on a surface level. Kerry and Chris are good at pointing out the difference between love at first sight, and love at last sight. They write, "Love at first sight says that when relationships start feeling awkward, it's time to bail. Love at last sight says that when there's a problem, a silence, a rote toutine, or something not quite right in a relationship, that's precisely the time to dig in and do the hard work of risking awkward questions or uncomfortable conversations."
Finally, the fourth week of the challenge focuses on "the art of letting go." This section of the book focuses on letting go of the control that we try to have over people and situations. The book lists several of the ways that we try to control others, and gives tips on how to overcome these issues.
Personally, I cannot say that I truly have put this challenge into motion...yet. The book definitely has me thinking about relationships, and specifically the three that are at the forefront of my mind as I was reading through the book. It made me realize that I'm not content with the way these relationships are right now. It also made me realize that I need to step out of my comfort zone if these relationships are going to change. I like my comfort zone thankyouverymuch...it's, well, comfortable! But...I'm a work in progress, and I hope to start implementing some of the tips and advice that Kerry and Chris provide in this book into those key relationships. If you are struggling with a relationship in your life (and we all have SOMEONE with whom we wish our relationship was better), I would recommend this book.
Happy reading!
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hey, I just checked your blog a few days ago to see if you'd posted this review yet! Nice job!
And I'm excited to 'be present' with you tomorrow night, yay. :)
Post a Comment