Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas Surprise

I got quite the surprise this Christmas! 

My sneaky husband planned an executed a surprise visit from my Mom!  She came to visit us in November, but we had kind of accepted the fact that we would not be seeing each other at Christmas time.  James' vacation was such that he was off the week *before* Ryan's school vacation, and there would be no time for us to travel to Maine and back before James had to go back to work tonight. 

I was home sick with an icky stomach on Thursday, and really was very concerned that we would all be down with 'the bug' for the weekend.  Fortunately, it didn't happen that way, and everyone else stayed well.   The following day, Friday, I knew that I needed to go out and finish a few last minute shopping things.  I headed out the door with a line of questioning from James as to when I would be back.  I tried not to seem annoyed, as he was staying behind with the kids, and I was going out by myself, but he REALLY wanted to know what time I planned to be back.  I told him I hoped I wouldn't be long, but it depended on whether or not I could find what I was looking for, and where I needed to go to find it.  I ended up being out longer than anticipated, and when I called him to let him know, he told me he had to go out as well and that he took the kids with him (obviously).  I didn't question him...it is Christmas, after all, and perhaps he was out buying me a gift!? 

He was out picking up my gift, alright.  Just not the gift I expected!!

I got home just after he did.  When I walked in the door, he was pointing his iphone at me, like he was taking my picture.  I stopped and gave him a weird smile and asked him why he was taking my picture.  I then realized it was a video he was recording, just as my Mom said "Merry Christmas" from upon my couch! 



It was a wonderful surprise, one that I had absolutely no idea about, and it definitely made our weekend that much brighter. 

We went to church Friday night, and then spent Saturday visiting James' side of the family.  On Sunday, we woke up (before the kids, even!), and spent a leisurely morning opening our gifts.  I think my Mom really enjoyed being here to see the kids open her gifts, and they sure enjoyed playing with her all afternoon.

It was the best gift of all to be together.

Did I mention I love my husband??

1 comment:

Anne said...

Yay James!!! Surprises (especially visits from family members!) are the BEST!!! My parents are coming out at the end of the month (since dad retired this year, he said the one thing he wanted to do was to spend the grandkids' birthdays with them and thankfully, Tyler & Cameron's birthdays are only a little over a week apart!) and Tyler & Bria don't know about it at all. I am SO excited for them to be surprised, I'm looking forward to it myself. :) I'm glad you had a nice Christmas with your mom...sounds like you've got a keeper of a husband. ;)