I first found this recipe here when I was browsing on Pinterest one day. Do you like Pinterest? It's addicting at first, SO many good ideas, but I have made a rule for myself that I MUST try one thing that I pin for every 10 pins. It is working, so far! Well, sort of. ;)
It is rainy this morning, and a little cooler than it has been all summer. I had some peaches to use up before they got too mushy, so I decided to substitute them into this recipe, and it was DELISH! You can see the original recipe in the link above, but here is how I made it.
Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast
Yield: approx 4 cups1 cup quinoa, rinsed
3 cups Vanilla almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 cup raisins
2 medium peaches, diced (save some for garnish)
Honey for drizzling on top
Method
Combine quinoa, almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, and raisins in medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then place lid on pan and reduce to low heat. After 5 mins stir in chopped peaches and simmer for approx 5-7 mins longer. Stir and check for remaining liquid and if most is absorbed then remove from heat, leaving lid on pan and let rest for 5 mins to absorb rest of the milk. If when you peek, there is still lots of liquid, simmer for 3-5 mins longer but keeping a close eye over the pot as this mixture can easily burn if left to boil dry, then let it rest for 5 mins. Taste for sweetness and adjust to your liking. I drizzled the dish with a small amount of honey (a little goes a long way) to sweeten it just a bit more. You may not need any additional sweetener as the raisins and peaches do add a nice sweetness that may be just perfect for you. Be cautious as even these natural sugars will spike your blood sugar levels and you want to minimize this.
**Some additional fillers/toppings I would like to try: sunflower seeds, chopped almonds, blueberries, raspberries, apples, or strawberries. Whatever kind of fruit is in season!!
The kids were not patient enough this morning to wait for a cooked breakfast, so they chose something else. I do think that they would like this dish, though. Perhaps I will warm the leftovers for them tomorrow!
Enjoy!
Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment