Last year, we had trouble with drop-off almost *every* time. At first, I felt she maybe was too young to be starting preschool. I kept saying "I will give it a month". The month came and went and though the tears let up a little, there was still the clinging to my leg, and the hesitation about going into the classroom. Sigh. She went the whole year, and she did ok by the end, but it was rough.
Ella is my spirited child at home. I really had no idea that her first year would include tears and clinging to my leg. I figured she would be a social butterfly. Lesson learned.
I went into this year's first day of school with very little expectation. I tried not to portray my own stress in dropping her off. Like last year, she told me the night before that she was SO excited for school. There was even some excited squealing. I had my doubts.
The first day came, and we got dressed and ready. She was eager to have her 'first day of school' picture taken, and was the first one out the door to get into the car. I kept waiting for the meltdown, but much to my surprise...it didn't happen.
Ella went into her class and found her name on the board (the first thing she does each morning is find her magnetic name tag and move it on a very cleverly drawn shape on the chalk board). She kept holding out her hand for me to take it, but I didn't take it. I stuck around to help her find an activity...she chose play-doh. I chatted with her for a minute and she gave me a hug and a kiss and let me walk out the door without even a second glance.
PHEW! We did it! Well, we did it the first day, anyway. I am hoping her attitude will remain the same the rest of the school year!
| My baby's last year of preschool! |
| Love her. |
![]() |
| Still smiling by her cubby! |
![]() |
| My friend snapped this photo *after* I left the room. Proof that there were no tears. ;) |



1 comment:
Haha, yay! I am so glad that she is scooting right in this year. :) I'm hoping we are in the same boat - things really seem to be going well. Too bad we can't look ahead to sharing a kindergarten class someday. :(
Post a Comment