Friday, June 13, 2008

Father's Day

This Father's Day is bittersweet for me.
The sweet part...I have a husband who is an amazing father to our son . I love to watch James play with Ryan, and to see his loving patience, even in times of discipline. I look forward to seeing him interact with our daughter as well...in just about another month!! I am so thankful for James. God has truly blessed me with a wonderful husband!
Fun with Dad

The bitter part, of course, is that this is the first Father's Day without my own Dad. It has been almost a year since his unexpected death, and I still miss him every day (I don't think that feeling will ever go away). However, I am able to reflect fondly on the memories that I do have with him, and for that I am grateful. I had a great relationship with my Dad, and he got to see me through many important stages in my life (high school graduation, college graduation, he walked me down the aisle at my wedding, and he got to meet his first grandchild...just to name a few). While my heart aches that I cannot physically wish him a "Happy Father's Day" this year, I do thank God for my Dad's example in my life...and for giving me the peace to know that my Dad is safe in the arms of our Heavenly Father.


I miss you, Dad!

5 comments:

The Rice's said...

Kate,

That was a perfect tribute to your dad. I of course was crying. I miss him, too!! I can still hear him saying, " Hey, Jenny!". He was always hold a very special place in my heart, too! Happy Father's Day to James!!

Matt, Tara, Noah and Chloe said...

Making me cry~ we also miss Brett.

Love your new blog and so glad you joined the bandwagon. Makes up for living so far away when we get all the good updates :)

Love ya!

Lindy said...

That picture of your Dad made me smile, that's exactly how I remember him! That was a really sweet way to honor him.

-Cute pics of James and Ryan.

Hope you're hangin' in there, not much longer to go!

Kayak Duchess said...

Hey Keeks....
Yeah, I joined to crying ranks on thsi one too....Brett was an amazing man, and a wonderful adopted dad to all of us college girls for sure.
We missed you guys at the wedding, but hope that all is well with baby carlson #2....and I will try to call soon and catch up!
Lots of love and prayers-
Marce

Bridgette said...

I've been thinking a lot about Dad Clark recently knowing that it's been almost a year (it was right when we moved here). I've been praying for you and your mom, especially.

This was a beautiful tribute to a wonderful man. Just think of the Father's Day he's having now.

Love you!