First, let me set up the scenario for you. It was bedtime for the kiddos at the Carlson house. James was working nights (his first weekend back to work since we brought Ella home) and had already gone off to work. I was trying to figure out exactly how I was going to get both kids ready for bed without him. I fed Ella and put her down in her crib. Feeling somewhat successful, I went into Ryan's room to get his jammies on and get him ready for bed. Ella started to cry (as a side note, she seems to be suffering from a bit of colic...although on this particular day/night it sure seemed like more than just a "bit"). Thinking to myself that she had already been changed and fed, I decided to let her cry for a bit while I took care of Ryan's needs and got him somewhat settled for the night. With Ella screaming in the background, here is how the conversation in Ryan's room played out:
Ryan: "Mommy, why is the baby here?"
Mommy: "Well, Ryan, she is part of our family, so she belongs here with us."
Ryan: "Well, why did we bring her home?" (did I mention we have hit the "why" stage?)
Mommy: "We brought her home because she is your baby sister and we love her."
Ryan: "My ears hurt."
Mommy: "You know what, Ryan? Mommy's ears hurt too!"
Ryan: "Do Daddy's ears hurt?"
Mommy: "No, Daddy's ears don't hurt because he is at work."
Ryan: "Oh."
You have to love toddlers...they are so honest! At least I could empathize with him...my ears had had enough, too!

3 comments:
Very cute! I hope Ella is feeling better and bedtime is a bit easier.
S
Kids are hilarious... and sometimes headache-makers. I feel ya!
Oh man! Colic is the worst!! Emily had it, too, but the good news is that it went away when she turned 2 months so maybe it will be short lived. I hope it gets better. It was fun to see your mom- she's barely changed!
Post a Comment