

In other Ella news, we went back to the GI Specialist a week ago. Ella still had blood in her stool. The doctor recommended that I cut wheat out of my diet, in addition to the dairy, soy and nuts. I just didn't think I could do that, and maintain a healthy lifestyle...or the energy I need to chase after Ryan! S0--he sent us home with some samples of formula (Enfamil's Nutramigen). I struggled a bit that night with whether or not to make the transition to formula. I wondered if I should just give it a go with the dietary restrictions. But, after another LONG bout of Ella's crying that night (mind you, she is crying in pain because it hurts her to poop), I decided to make the switch. I felt my reasons for wanting to continue with breastfeeding were selfish and that I needed to do what was best for Ella...in this case, the formula. The results have been promising, so far! She is a completely different baby this week (in a good way!). Her crying has SIGNIFICANTLY decreased and she doesn't appear to be in pain anymore when she has a bowel movement. I have seen minimal blood in her stool this past week (it has lessened throughout the week) and she just seems much more content. We take her back to the specialist tomorrow and are praying for good news!
I can't believe she will be 7 weeks on Saturday!!

6 comments:
Isn't the smiling phase such a reward after all the long nights and demanding cries?! I'm glad things are looking promising for Ella. I can only imagine how difficult these past 7 weeks have been for you both. It must be hard to make the switch, but just think, now you can have some help with the midnight feedings. Sweet!
Hooray for progress! I am so happy for you that things are moving in the right direction!
Also, hooray for smiles - they do serve as a decent 'thank you' for all the thankless jobs you do as a mom! :)
I hear you on feeling selfish, wanting to continue breastfeeding... I struggle with it too (you know MY story! Ha!). But if continuing to breastfeed would have been selfish, then stopping in order to do what is best for your little girl was selfLESS. Good job, Mom! It was a tough decision I know!
You are not alone! I have done both with my 3 and my one girl, Grace, who was brestfed the least, is the healthiest of all my kids, gets sick the least! Go figure:) She starts K tomorrow:) It does fly by and I hope you all sleep well now and can enjoy your little Ella more!
Awesome on the progress in the right direction! Glad to her little Ella is happier and feeling better!! Such cute pics of her!! Love having your blog now, missed out with Ryan! Talk to you soon!
I'm so glad you're getting smiles now. You've been through so much Kate, and Ella too! It's so awful to think of your sleep deprivation, the fussiness, wondering what's wrong with your little girl, debating about the feeding issue--too much stress for a mom of two! It's so great that she improved so quickly though. More happy days ahead:)
Kate, Your little girl is adorable! Can't wait to meet her:)
Post a Comment