Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

Faithful
Attentive
Trustworthy
Helpful
Eager
Respectful

These are all the things I celebrate in James today, for the wonderful father that he is to our two children. (Oh, and he’s a pretty good husband, too!)

Father’s Day, is, of course, the day we celebrate our earthly fathers. However, I have been reminded today of the Heavenly Father’s love for me. I was one of the lucky ones (though I don’t believe in luck) who was blessed with a Dad who loved me and never hesitated to tell me so. It’s hard for me to fathom the fact that the Heavenly Father’s love far surpasses that which my earthly father had for me. But, it’s true. Today I mourn that it was exactly two years ago that I had my last face to face conversation with my Dad. It was the next day that my Dad became ill and ultimately ended up in a coma for a week with severe brain trauma, from which we were told he would never recover. I recently read a post on this Mama’s blog about clinging to God in the hard times in our lives (and she went on to further say that we should cling to Him ALL the time), and I could totally relate. I clung to God with all my might that week, and in the weeks that followed. God did not provide the miracle for which we had been praying, but He did envelope us in His love. Never in my life had I so strongly clung to His promises…promises that He has a plan…and though it may not always add up with what I think should happen…His plan is the Right Plan…the Perfect Plan. Never in my life had I felt so much peace, peace that could have ONLY come from God…given the circumstances. I am an only child, and the overwhelming weight that I felt on my shoulders to care for my Mom, and to help her through her grief, was much too much to bear on my own. I had NO CHOICE but to lean on God. It was during that time that a popular praise song kept coming to mind, and kept coming up on the screen at church, and on the radio in the car…you get the point…I heard it ALL the time. That song was “How Great is our God”. It really spoke to me, and even though I was grieving, I was able to praise God…because I KNEW He loved me. So, with that said, I am missing my Dad today on Father’s Day. Even more so because it starts a painful week of memories regarding his death. On the way to church today I was thinking to myself that I really hoped that song would be part of worship. Like I said, it just really speaks to me. Guess what…the closing song today was just that. Seriously. Oh, and the way our church sings it is to include a portion of “How Great Thou Art” in the middle of the song. Did I mention that that was my Dad’s favorite hymn? Seriously. Once again, I just felt my Heavenly Father’s arms wrapping around me and letting me know that Yes, everything is in His hands…and it is well. So, yes, I’m missing my Dad today…but how GREAT is it to have a Heavenly Father who loves me…and who knows my every thought…my every need. How great. Now, if only I can remember to give Him the praise for the good times as well…when everything is A-Ok! I’m a work in progress…what can I say!?

I’m looking forward to celebrating the rest of the day with my husband, and with his parents, and to relish in the blessings of family. May you do the same on this Father’s Day!

8 comments:

Anne said...

Well said Kate.

The Rice's said...

What a beautiful post, Kate. I love your words and I know that God was with you every step of the way. I miss Brett, too. It's hard to believe that two years have gone by already.

Elissa said...

beautiful post, kate! i can't imagine the pain, but what a joy and peace to know the love and peace of our heavenly father.

Beth said...

Oh, Kate, I was thinking of you on Sunday and thinking it was probably a tough day. How awesome that the music we sang was just what you needed to hear! Really nice post.

Sarah said...

WOW! You continue to amaze me as a friend and a woman of God! Your dad was and would be so proud of you! I love you and with tears in my eyes am feeling for your heart!

Matt, Tara, Noah and Chloe said...

You must have been tearing up in church! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Bridgette said...

What an amazing testament to God's faithfulness to us. Dad Clark was an incredible Dad and he raised an incredible woman who I am blessed to be friends with. Love you!

Adams Fam: said...

What a sweet post. Such a sad story, but beautiful that God gives peace even in those awful times where there are no answers.