Thursday, September 30, 2010

I'm a Crook!

OK, so I probably won't go to jail or anything, but I'm feeling a bit guilty about something.

Last spring, our church did a small group study on a book, by Kerry & Chris Shook, called "One Month to Live". To say it was life changing might be a bit over the top, as I haven't really altered the way I LIVE my life, but I have altered my perspective on many of the day to day things I deal with in my life. Appropriately titled, the book focused on the question "What if you were told you had one month to live?" Would the things that you thought mattered really matter? What would you want your legacy to be? How would you "live the dash" (picture the dash as of that on one's headstone...the time between when you were born, and when you die). The book really just emphasized what I already know...that THINGS in this life are not important, but it's the relationships in our lives that matter...that life is too short to live with regrets....that life wasn't meant to be boring, but that we were meant to live life with passion. It really was a good study.

ANYWAY...on to my guilt...

A couple of months ago, I was reading an online excerpt from their new book, "Love at Last Sight", and found where I could pre-order a FREE copy of the book by providing them with my blog address. If I were to receive the book in the mail (which I did, a few weeks later), I was to read it and write a short book review and post it to my blog...by September 30th. Uh, ok. Here's the part where I feel guilty. I diligently read the first 2 chapters of the book in the first 2 days (it is a 30 day challenge). I'm not really sure what happened between then and now, but I have not made it past the 2nd chapter. The first two chapters were really good. They were. But, here it is October 1st...and I missed the deadline. This irritates me for several reasons...#1, the chapters in the book aren't very long. #2, I got the book free because I made a COMMITMENT to read it and write about it (perhaps they planned on people not necessarily following through...but I hate breaking commitments!), and #3, it just seems to follow a nasty pattern I have fallen into of starting something and not finishing it. So...I kinda feel like I stole the book.

I do plan to read it, and I will blog about it. I'm starting the book over...today. So...on or AROUND October 30th, there WILL be a book review on "Love at Last Sight" on my blog. If you want to read an excerpt from the book yourself, you can do so here.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Oh, I hear you...

Looking forward to reading your review!

Lindy said...

KATIE!!!! I am freaking out right now!! Well, first of all, I love this post, your thoughts are so cute, but I'm actually commenting on the previous post about Ryan's birthday. I haven't looked at your(or anyone's)blog for prob 6 months so I decided it was time for an update. I knew Ryan's birthday was close to David's and I actually thought of him on David's birthday(the 17th) but I couldn't remember what day it is exactly. Anyway, the reason I'm freaking out is because we always have so many hilarious similarities in our lives! David's birthday party theme(chosen by him)this year was...RACE CARS!! AND...I made him that EXACT SAME CAKE!!! Haha!!! I think that is so stinkin funny! I love it!! Our two little guys must be an awful lot alike! They always seem to get the same gifts for Christmas and birthdays and they always love the same things at the same time! Makes me sad all over again that we don't live close to each other. Sure do love you!