Monday, August 18, 2008

How quickly they grow...

I was taking some pictures of Ryan playing football the other day, and I remembered a picture we had taken of Ryan at 2 months of age. We had put James' football beside him to show his size in relation to an object (for family members that were far away at the time and didn't get to see how he was growing). I just can't believe Ryan is going to be 3 years old in less than a month. In some ways it seems like just yesterday that he was as big as the football, and in others it seems like forever ago. It's fun to see him now, actually playing with the football, and I realize how blessed we are to have two healthy children.


Ryan at 2 months old



Ryan--one month shy of 3 years old (not the size of a football anymore!)


Speaking of growing...Ella is just over a month old now. If I am being honest, I have to say it has been an exhausting month! While I said in an earlier post that I am trying not to wish away these newborn days just for an extra wink of sleep...perhaps wishing away one day...for just one extra wink...would be ok!? Whew!


A couple of weeks ago I noticed some blood in Ella's stool. In addition, her fussiness took on a whole new level...crying for hours at a time. I took her to the pediatrician and he thought that perhaps she had a food allergy (after ruling out that it was a possible bacterial infection). So...he set us up with a Gastroenterologist. At our visit with him last Monday, he evaluated her stool and confirmed that it was testing positive for blood (thank goodness for people that WANT that job...but who in their right mind would think of that as their ideal profession?). He told us that it appears that Ella is allergic to something in my diet. As a result, he told me to give up dairy (including beef), soy and nuts for a week and then bring her back to re-evaluate and to be sure the blood has left her stool. We go back to him on Wednesday of this week. The dairy hasn't been as much of an issue for me (as they make a dairy free substitute for just about everything that I would normally eat/drink) but the soy has been the biggest issue. Soy is in just about EVERYTHING!! If it wasn't for Wegman's and their natural/organic food aisle...I'm not really sure what I would eat! I've become quite the label reader in the past week! Ella seems to be doing a little bit better, so hopefully we will go back to the doctor on Wednesday and get a good report. It has been stressful, to say the least.


The good news about Ella is that she has gained well in the past month. When they weighed her at the specialist's office the other day, she was up to 8lbs, 7 oz, and she measured at 22 inches. I am hoping we can get past this food allergy stuff and that we can begin enjoying life with 2. Ryan has been a trooper and has been hanging in there with us...he unfortunately has to take a back seat to Ella's fussiness sometimes.



Ella posing in her pretty dress



Ella-one month old


She's lucky she's cute and that she has paused from a few crying spells in the last couple of days to give me a smile or two (real ones, I believe!).

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for the updated pics of the kiddos- they grow so fast! The second picture of Ella looks just like your dad! She's a cutie! Glad to hear things are going a little better. We still need to plan a visit.
S

DOW FAMILY said...

Kate,
Hey. Love reading your blog. Sorry to hear about Ella being fussy and not sure what's bothering her. That is so hard. I went through that with Grace, my 2nd, my 1st girl after Isaac. She ended up having reflux and it was very tiring and sleep deprived! Thankfully it wasn't severe reflux where she didn't gain, but it doesn't matter, when you have a fussy kid and aren't sleeping, it's awful! I hope things even out and you guys can start feeling 'normal' again.

Deidre said...

Being a mom is not for the faint of heart, and you're such a good one. I hope things start running a little smoother for you soon. Ella looks just like you!

Lindy said...

Oh my goodness! She totally looks like you- has your mouth and eyes for sure! What a little doll! Okay, so I've had her little gift sitting in my room for a good 3 weeks now and I just haven't managed to get it off to the post office. Now I'm worried though- the dress is 3-6 mo. Maybe it will fit her by next spring! She's such a little peanut! She is still smaller than David was when he was born (8.14 21 1/4th long) 3 weeks early!! Crazy! I so hope that she is feeling better. That would be sooo scary. Keep us posted.

Beth said...

Hey Kate! Your little girl is a doll. :) I love the pictures and especially the comparison between Ryan and the football, that one made me laugh.

Hope things are going a little better with your precious little one, I'm thinking of you!